04-21-2014

On the base in Lahr, Germany (actually, the town of Baden Baden) where we lived from 1968 – 1970, was the actual hanger that the infamous WWI German Ace, The Red Baron had flown his missions out of.  This area of the base was fenced off for its national historic significance. This was 1968 and to be honest, history was something we had to learn in school.  It really wasn’t on my radar yet, but all that changed, a year or two later, in Grade six.

But for now, the story of the Red Baron was just folklore. I had heard of him, but was probably most aware of his place in history because of the 1966, Royal Guardsman song, “Snoopy Vs The Red Baron.” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxzg_iM-T4E&feature=kp) It was years later when I learned the whole story of Manfred Albrecht Freiherr von Richthofen and how it was a Canadian Ace named Captain Arthur “Roy” Brown who was credited with shooting down von Richthofen while saving a school friend whose Sopwith Camel was being pursued in a very low flight by The Red Baron. There has been controversy over who actually killed von Richthofen with many believing he was probably hit by a single shot from the ground.  Either way, it turns out there was never a dog involved in any of these dogfights, let alone Snoopy.   I guess there is more about our history that I will need to learn or at least relearn.

Comments

04/05/2016 7:16pm

Beautiful Place, nice rooms, great food! I stay there every time I go.

08/28/2016 10:06am

Thank you for this video. I will check it. I like this interesting post.

One more technique for moving your site is posting remarks on various goals with your weblog link.What a material of un-precariousness and preserveness of imperative nature on the subject of unpredicted sentiments.

12/15/2016 4:58am

There are a lot of interesting historical things we all need to learn! Discover ;)

12/29/2016 11:14am

No need to worry about quality of your essay. You can be sure that your “write my essay for me” request will be satisfied.

01/27/2017 5:12am

mah ssc time table 2017

02/28/2017 5:04am

The Central Board of secondary education has recently held the

CBSE 12th Board Examinations in the Month of March 2017 and is all

set to announce the CBSE 12th Class Board Examination Results 2017

in the Month of May 2017.

04/01/2017 3:32am

Many people find it difficult to believe but pets can feel the effects of stress. In point of fact, animals are just as prone to stress as humans and they need to de-stress in order to feel good and go about their daily routine. If your cat is showing signs of stress, there are many things you can do to make your cat feel better. Here is what you can do to take better care of their cat.

04/02/2017 7:07am

Many individuals are choosing to use natural pet items including foods, herbal supplements, medicines, and treats. So why are they becoming so popular? Simply because owners think they are better for their pets. They will provide them with nutrients they need and keeping them healthier in the long run.

04/23/2017 4:53am

FaceTime Android: The human race is known to be greedy and wanting everything that the other person has. This era is the era of technology.

05/22/2017 5:33am

cbse results are released

06/25/2017 1:32am

I would always want to visit war memorials. I personally want to go to Okinawa, Japan, where the one of the bloodiest battle of the Pacific War was fought. Many soldiers from both USA and Japan had died on that soil. I wanted to honor these fallen soldiers. I want to thank each and every one of them for their service.